Synonyms for said
- 1. state, say, tell, express, verbalize, verbalise, utter, give tongue to
- usage: express in words; "He said that he wanted to marry her"; "tell me what is bothering you"; "state your opinion"; "state your name"
- 2. allege, aver, say, assert, asseverate, maintain
- usage: report or maintain; "He alleged that he was the victim of a crime"; "He said it was too late to intervene in the war"; "The registrar says that I owe the school money"
- 3. suppose, say, speculate
- usage: express a supposition; "Let us say that he did not tell the truth"; "Let's say you had a lot of money--what would you do?"
- 4. read, say, have, feature
- usage: have or contain a certain wording or form; "The passage reads as follows"; "What does the law say?"
- 5. say
- usage: state as one's opinion or judgement; declare; "I say let's forget this whole business"
- 6. say, express, verbalize, verbalise, utter, give tongue to
- usage: utter aloud; "She said `Hello' to everyone in the office"
- 7. order, tell, enjoin, say, request
- usage: give instructions to or direct somebody to do something with authority; "I said to him to go home"; "She ordered him to do the shopping"; "The mother told the child to get dressed"
- 8. pronounce, articulate, enounce, sound out, enunciate, say
- usage: speak, pronounce, or utter in a certain way; "She pronounces French words in a funny way"; "I cannot say `zip wire'"; "Can the child sound out this complicated word?"
- 9. say, recite
- usage: recite or repeat a fixed text; "Say grace"; "She said her `Hail Mary'"
- 10. say, convey, impart
- usage: communicate or express nonverbally; "What does this painting say?"; "Did his face say anything about how he felt?"
- 11. say, read, register, show, record
- usage: indicate; "The clock says noon"
WordNet 2.0 Copyright © 2003 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- 1. aforesaid(prenominal), aforementioned(prenominal), said(prenominal), same (vs. other)
- usage: being the one previously mentioned or spoken of; "works of all the aforementioned authors"; "said party has denied the charges"
See also: said (Dictionary)