Synonyms for shallow
- 1. shoal, shallow, body of water, water
- usage: a stretch of shallow water
- 1. shallow, shoal, change, alter, modify
- usage: make shallow; "The silt shallowed the canal"
- 2. shallow, shoal, change
- usage: become shallow; "the lake shallowed over time"
WordNet 2.0 Copyright © 2003 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- 1. shallow (vs. deep), ankle-deep, knee-deep, fordable, neritic, reefy, shelfy, shelvy, shoaly
- usage: lacking physical depth; having little spatial extension downward or inward from an outer surface or backward or outward from a center; "shallow water"; "a shallow dish"; "a shallow cut"; "a shallow closet"; "established a shallow beachhead"; "hit the ball to shallow left field"
- 2. shallow (vs. deep), light, wakeful, skin-deep, superficial, surface(prenominal)
- usage: not deep or strong; not affecting one deeply; "shallow breathing"; "a night of shallow fretful sleep"; "in a shallow trance"
- 3. shallow, superficial (vs. profound)
- usage: lacking depth of intellect or knowledge; concerned only with what is obvious; "shallow people"; "his arguments seemed shallow and tedious"