Synonyms for shy
- 1. shy, throw
- usage: a quick throw; "he gave the ball a shy to the first baseman"
- 1. shy, startle, jump, start
- usage: start suddenly, as from fight
- 2. shy, throw
- usage: throw quickly
WordNet 2.0 Copyright © 2003 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- 1. diffident, shy, timid, unsure, unconfident (vs. confident)
- usage: lacking self-confidence; "stood in the doorway diffident and abashed"; "problems that call for bold not timid responses"; "a very unsure young man"
- 2. shy, timid (vs. bold)
- usage: easily startled or frightened
- 3. shy(predicate), insufficient (vs. sufficient), deficient
- usage: short; "eleven is one shy of a dozen"
- 4. shy, wary (vs. unwary)
- usage: wary and distrustful; disposed to avoid persons or things; "shy of strangers"
See also: shy (Dictionary)