Synonyms for spring
- 1. spring, springtime, season, time of year
- usage: the season of growth; "the emerging buds were a sure sign of spring"; "he will hold office until the spring of next year"
- 2. spring, elastic device
- usage: a metal elastic device that returns to its shape or position when pushed or pulled or pressed; "the spring was broken"
- 3. spring, fountain, outflow, outpouring, natural spring, geological formation, formation
- usage: a natural flow of ground water
- 4. spring, beginning, origin, root, rootage, source
- usage: a point at which water issues forth
- 5. give, spring, springiness, elasticity, snap
- usage: the elasticity of something that can be stretched and returns to its original length
- 6. leap, leaping, spring, saltation, bound, bounce, jump, jumping
- usage: a light, self-propelled movement upwards or forwards
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
All rights reserved.
- 1. jump, leap, bound, spring, move
- usage: move forward by leaps and bounds; "The horse bounded across the meadow"; "The child leapt across the puddle"; "Can you jump over the fence?"
- 2. form, take form, take shape, spring, become
- usage: develop into a distinctive entity; "our plans began to take shape"
- 3. bounce, resile, take a hop, spring, bound, rebound, recoil, reverberate, ricochet, jump, leap, bound, spring
- usage: spring back; spring away from an impact; "The rubber ball bounced"; "These particles do not resile but they unite after they collide"
- 4. spring, grow, develop, produce, get, acquire
- usage: develop suddenly; "The tire sprang a leak"
- 5. spring, unwrap, disclose, let on, bring out, reveal, discover, expose, divulge, break, give away, let out
- usage: produce or disclose suddenly or unexpectedly; "He sprang these news on me just as I was leaving"