Synonyms for stain
- 1. stain, discoloration, discolouration, appearance, visual aspect
- usage: a soiled or discolored appearance; "the wine left a dark stain"
- 2. stain, coloring material, colouring material, color, colour
- usage: (microscopy) a dye or other coloring material that is used in microscopy to make structures visible
- 3. dirt, filth, grime, soil, stain, grease, grunge, dirtiness, uncleanness
- usage: the state of being covered with unclean things
- 4. mark, stigma, brand, stain, symbol
- usage: a symbol of disgrace or infamy; "And the Lord set a mark upon Cain"--Genesis
- 5. blot, smear, smirch, spot, stain, mistake, error, fault
- usage: an act that brings discredit to the person who does it; "he made a huge blot on his copybook"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
All rights reserved.
- 1. stain, dye
- usage: color with a liquid dye or tint; "Stain this table a beautiful walnut color"; "people knew how to stain glass a beautiful blue in the middle ages"
- 2. stain, change, alter, modify
- usage: produce or leave stains; "Red wine stains the table cloth"
- 3. tarnish, stain, maculate, sully, defile, spot, fleck, blob, blot
- usage: make dirty or spotty, as by exposure to air; also used metaphorically; "The silver was tarnished by the long exposure to the air"; "Her reputation was sullied after the affair with a married man"
- 4. stain, dye
- usage: color for microscopic study; "The laboratory worker dyed the specimen"