Synonyms for state
- 1. state, government, authorities, regime
- usage: the group of people comprising the government of a sovereign state; "the state has lowered its income tax"
- 2. state, province, administrative district, administrative division, territorial division
- usage: the territory occupied by one of the constituent administrative districts of a nation; "his state is in the deep south"
- 3. state, nation, country, land, commonwealth, res publica, body politic, political unit
- usage: a politically organized body of people under a single government; "the state has elected a new president"; "African nations"; "students who had come to the nation's capitol"; "the country's largest manufacturer"; "an industrialized land"
- 4. state
- usage: the way something is with respect to its main attributes; "the current state of knowledge"; "his state of health"; "in a weak financial state"
- 5. Department of State, State Department, State, DoS, executive department
- usage: the federal department in the UnitedStates that sets and maintains foreign policies; "the Department of State was created in 1789"
- 6. country, state, land, administrative district, administrative division, territorial division
- usage: the territory occupied by a nation; "he returned to the land of his birth"; "he visited several European countries"
- 7. state, emotional state, spirit
- usage: a state of depression or agitation; "he was in such a state you just couldn't reason with him"
- 8. state of matter, state, chemical phenomenon
- usage: (chemistry) the three traditional states of matter are solids (fixed shape and volume) and liquids (fixed volume and shaped by the container) and gases (filling the container); "the solid state of water is called ice"
WordNet 2.0 Copyright © 2003 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- 1. state, say, tell, express, verbalize, verbalise, utter, give tongue to
- usage: express in words; "He said that he wanted to marry her"; "tell me what is bothering you"; "state your opinion"; "state your name"
- 2. submit, state, put forward, posit, propose, suggest, advise
- usage: put before; "I submit to you that the accused is guilty"
- 3. express, state, denote, refer
- usage: indicate through a symbol, formula, etc.; "Can you express this distance in kilometers?"
See also: state (Dictionary)