Synonyms for story
WordNet 2.0 Copyright © 2003 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- 1. narrative, narration, story, tale, message, content, subject matter, substance
- usage: a message that tells the particulars of an act or occurrence or course of events; presented in writing or drama or cinema or as a radio or television program; "his narrative was interesting"; "Disney's stories entertain adults as well as children"
- 2. story, fiction
- usage: a piece of fiction that narrates a chain of related events; "he writes stories for the magazines"
- 3. floor, level, storey, story, structure, construction
- usage: structure consisting of a room or set of rooms comprising a single level of a multilevel building; "what level is the office on?"
- 4. history, account, chronicle, story, record
- usage: a record or narrative description of past events; "a history of France"; "he gave an inaccurate account of the plot to kill the president"; "the story of exposure to lead"
- 5. report, news report, story, account, write up, news
- usage: a short account of the news; "the report of his speech"; "the story was on the 11 o'clock news"; "the account of his speech that was given on the evening news made the governor furious"
- 6. fib, story, tale, tarradiddle, taradiddle, lie, prevarication
- usage: a trivial lie; "he told a fib about eating his spinach"; "how can I stop my child from telling stories?"
See also: story (Dictionary)