Synonyms for vernacular
- 1. slang, cant, jargon, lingo, argot, patois, vernacular, non-standard speech
- usage: a characteristic language of a particular group (as among thieves); "they don't speak our lingo"
- 2. vernacular, non-standard speech
- usage: the everyday speech of the people (as distinguished from literary language)
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
All rights reserved.
- 1. common, vernacular, vulgar, informal (vs. formal)
- usage: being or characteristic of or appropriate to everyday language; "common parlance"; "a vernacular term"; "vernacular speakers"; "the vulgar tongue of the masses"; "the technical and vulgar names for an animal species"